The Papua New Guinea National Research Institute (PNG NRI) as an independent institution works in researching and analysing strategic issues for national development.
PNG NRI considers the upcoming Referendum on Bougainville to be a significant national event that will impact the wellbeing of the people of Bougainville and PNG.
Therefore, the PNG NRI Bougainville Referendum Research Project is inquiring and informing stakeholders through seven (7) key studies;
1. Administration of Referendums: A comparative study of independence referendums
2. Independence Referendum: History, practice and outcomes
3. Financing for Fiscal Autonomy: Fiscal self-reliance in Bougainville
4. Options for Bougainville's Autonomy Arrangement: A study from a global comparative perspective
5. Bougainville Referendum Outcome Issues
6. Status and Implementation of the Bougainville Peace Agreement and Implication for Referendum
7. Greater autonomy and independence for Bougainville: Institutional options and issues for transition
The PNG NRI has commissioned experts (independent researchers) to conduct desktop studies on the key topics identified from these questions.
Preliminary findings from the studies will be communicated to stakeholders such as the PNG and ABG government officials, development agencies, the people of Bougainville and PNG. They will be presented in a series of seminars, the first in November 2017, the second in February 2018 and the third around May of 2018.
The research reports will be freely available and PNG NRI encourages its wide use to raise issues and prompt informed discussions and decision making. It will also help bring out complex and sensitive issues that need to be addressed before voters go to the Referendum in 2019.
This is an independent research by the leading public policy think tank in PNG wanting to see a credible process leading to a peaceful outcome for Bougainville.
Click here for more information